Spiritually Blissful: Tungnath
"Khuli Hwayein - Prakarti ka Sparsh"
A thought which took me for a refreshing journey to Tungnath, Uttrakhand (The land of Gods).
It was fuzzy cold December. The daily schedule was becoming hectic and exhausting due to placement drives. Thus, my hunt for an unwinding place began where I could adopt the pace of nature, solely. And soon it ended with the -
"MIGHTY HIMALAYAS"
Yes, The Mountains!
The snow-clad landscapes, beautiful meadows, lakes, rivers and valleys. After an hour of research for different hill-stations and treks, my eyes stuck on the all-famous highest Lord Shiva Temple in the world "Tungnath".
Tungnath
From the land which is from the whole another world! Tungnath, nestled amongst the snow-capped peaks of Uttarakhand is located at an astonishing elevation of 12,074 ft is considered to be more than 1000 years old.
Trekking to Tungnath from Chopta, to Chandrashilla peak, reveals astonishing sights of crooning brooks and scenic shrubs, and the Tungnath mountains.
From the land which is from the whole another world! Tungnath, nestled amongst the snow-capped peaks of Uttarakhand is located at an astonishing elevation of 12,074 ft is considered to be more than 1000 years old.
Trekking to Tungnath from Chopta, to Chandrashilla peak, reveals astonishing sights of crooning brooks and scenic shrubs, and the Tungnath mountains.
The day began when I landed in Baniyakund and had my rejuvenating "Mountains wali Maggi" while sitting along the edge of a mountain experiencing the Glorious Sunrise. I spent a couple of hours peacefully and then moved further to Chopta, "The Mini-Switzerland" of Uttrakhand.
It was raining heavily throughout the journey and since we started touching the higher altitudes now, the rain started turning into snow. Unfortunately, the driver left us a-way before due to heavy snowfall. Therefore I had to trek for 8-9 miles more to reach Chopta where I rented a temporary room for rest. The sunset-sunrise view from the room was beauteous and admirable. The silence there was as if the whole world would fall still.
I met a few more travelers during the day and we all decided to light a bonfire in the evening where we could sing all together, share our past experiences and enjoy our time.
Being from the "land of five rivers", I could feel the Punjabi blood rushing through my veins. It all started with singing and ended up with Bhangra.
DAY 2:
The next day begins with the urgency of trekking boots which I missed to carry along with me. I borrowed the boots for 300 Rs/day from a few townsmen who were standing alongside the roads of Chopta.I was accompanied by a dog, Himalayan dogs are accustomed to the trails. They know the way, since it's their territory. So, it is always reassuring to have them along while trekking. They calm you down considerably. It took me 4hrs and I reached the Holy Temple. I rang the bell at the entrance, went inside barefoot and enchanted "HAR HAR MAHADEV".
"Some moments can never be captured but can only be felt", this was the moment I realized that "Mountains are the fuel to our souls".
The return (downhill) was a way harder than what I believed therefore I had to be a bit careful. So within a time frame of 3 hours I was back from where I started, giving an end to one of the most memorable trek of my life.Deoria Tal
DAY 3:
Reaching Sari which is around 18kms from Chopta I embarked for the Deoria Tal trek. It is a 3km short trek uphill consisting of rocky paths. You will get to meet the locals carrying a huge pile of stocks on their backs.After a climb of 2 hours I reached the enchanting site of Deoriya Tal. It is an emerald lake surrounded by verdant forests perched at an elevation of 2438 meters. The miraculous reflection of Himalayan Ranges including Mt Chaukhamba, Mt Janhukut, Mt Nandani, Mt Kedarnath, Mt Kedar Dome on the crystal clear water is just amazing.
With all the blessings of Lord Shiva, mesmerizing the epitome of nature I finished my short sweet trip.
“Life is short and the world is wide.”
Best Time To Visit:
The best time to travel to Tungnath is in summers (April – June) and winters (Oct-Dec). Winter treks are also conducted in Tungnath and the best months to trek are between Jan and March.
In Summers:
The weather of Tungnath remains salubrious during summer. The Himalayas are distinctly visible and the cool breeze can felt early in the morning and in the late evening. Carrying light woolens is advised.
In Monsoon:
Tungnath turns greener during the monsoon season. Although trekking becomes challenging and there are chances of getting roads blocked for a couple of hours due to landslides, the scenic beauty of Tungnath during monsoons is worth taking the risk for. Carrying raincoats is advised.
In Winters:
The region gets blanketed in snow during the winter season and the accommodation options are also restricted to a few. But Tungnath looks the best during the winters and indeed the trek becomes more difficult. Carrying heavy woolens is advised.

Thats very helpful
ReplyDeleteUsually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I couldn't stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.Nice pics btw.
ReplyDelete